top of page

Henderson Institute 1865 – 1974- A School For The Black Students In Henderson, North Carolina

Photograph of the original building of Henderson Institute, a Presbyterian school in Henderson, NC.
“The school had the highest educational standards for Blacks in the state.”
Source: Odell Greenleaf Harris, It Can Be Done, p. 48

History of The Henderson Institute

Prior to 1865, there was not a school in Vance County and the Surrounding Counties dedicated to providing “Colored People” an opportunity to obtain a formal education.

1865 - The Institute was part of the missionary work of the United Presbyterian Church of the North. The church had a deep interest in the welfare of the Colored Race. After slavery was abolished on December 18, 1865 (under the 13th Amendment of the United States Constitution), the Church showed interest in the future of free men by initiating efforts that would enhance their moral and intellectual development.

1887 - Henderson Institute, formerly known as The Institute, was established and operated by the Freedmen’s Board of the United Presbyterian Church through its Central Office in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. The Board discontinued an earlier school in Bluestone, Virginia (near Clarksville), and moved some of the buildings to an area that was designed for the Institute’s Campus in the Rockspring Street area in Henderson, NC. The Church then continued to advance its mission of moral and intellectual development of newly freed slaves.

The school opened its doors in 1891 under the supervision of J.M. Fulton. Principal Fulton supervised a team of five white missionaries tasked to train Colored Teachers housed on the HI Campus. The Staff was also tasked with teaching younger students of all ages.

1900 - Mr. C. L. Cook was the first Colored principal of the Institute. He led an all Colored staff during his time at the Institute. Served from1900 – 1903.
“Thank God for those men and women who shared the human compassion to look past the color of a person’s skin into their hearts and minds.”

1903 Dr. J. A. Cotton was the second Colored principal. He introduced many changes, such as renaming the school. He dropped the words Normal and Industrial from the school name. Afterwards, it was known as Henderson Institute. Also, under Dr. Cotton’s leadership, the Vance County Board of Education relieved the United Presbyterian Church of oversight of Henderson Institute.

1970 - Henderson Institute ceased operation as an official high school in 1970 and began operating as a ninth grade center until 1974. After that, the Henderson Institute name was discontinued, and the school became a part of Eaton Johnson Jr. High School.

Class of 1930 Reunion (1975)
In August 1975, the Class of 1930 held its first official reunion at the Glasshouse, Satterwhite Point Kerr Lake, Henderson, NC. The enthusiasm of those in attendance led to invitations being extended to all former graduates, students, and Henderson Institute teachers to attend all future reunions.

Henderson Institute Alumni Was Organized (1976) During the reunion of 1976, the Henderson Institute Alumni Association was formally
organized. As a result, annual meetings were scheduled for all future Labor Day Weekends.

Library Science Building Leased (1980)
During the Alumni Association’s Annual meeting in 1980, members discussed the restoration of the Library Science Building. It was one of the last two remaining buildings located on the former Henderson Institute Campus. A committee headed by Henrietta C. Clark, Chair, met with the Vance County Board of Education and requested permission to lease the building. The request was granted, provided the group incorporated with a Board of Directors to provide overall Governance of the Association.

Establishment Of The Henderson Institute Graduates And Former Students Association, Inc. (1982)
On August 24, 1982, the Henderson Institute Graduates and Former Students Association, Inc. was incorporated by the State of North Carolina as a nonprofit with 11 board members. Henrietta Hatton Clark became the first chairperson of the board and served in the capacity for over 13 years, until 1998. Other chartered members included Elizabeth Wilson (Secretary), Allen S Brown (Treasurer), James P. Green, O.T. Robinson, Raynah Adams II, Randolph T. Baskerville, Arthur Williams, Leslie Davis, Ralph Glover, and Johnny Johnson

Ten Year Lease Signed (1983)
In 1983 the Board of Directors secured the use of the Library Science Building with a ten-year lease signed by Dr. Hilton Lewis, Superintendent of Schools. Elizabeth Wilson and Leslie Davis were in attendance as representatives of the Henderson Institute Graduates and Former Students Association.

Property Deeded To The Association (1986)
The Vance County Board of Education deeded the property rights of the Library Science Building to the Association. The contractors selected to renovate the property were Rembert Ford, former Henderson Institute teacher, and Lenton Jordan, Vance Senior High School teacher. The restoration was funded by contributions from graduates, former students, friends and the General Assembly

he HI Museum Was Established
The Henderson Institute Museum was established under the leadership of Wendell P. Taylor, Director. On November 29, 1995, the Henderson Institute Library Science Building was listed in the National Register of Historic Buildings by the United States Department of the Interior. The historical registration happened under the direction of Ms. Ruth C. Burt, who retired in September 2010.

HI Curator Title (2010)
The title Museum Director was changed to Curator in 2010; Prior Directors were Mr. Wendell Taylor and Ms. Ruth Burt. In 2010, Ms. Edna Scott was named Museum Curator. Many changes and expansions to the HI Museum were made under her leadership. For instance, Ms. Scott added numerous artifacts and memorabilia to the museum. Other additions included the Military Wall of Fame. The Wall highlights the military service of former students, including several members of the Tuskegee Airmen. Ms. Scott resigned from this position in March of 2021. Specific plans for the operation and oversight of the HI Museum are forthcoming.

Source: https://henderson-institute.org/history/

bottom of page