top of page

Hampton University Museum

Hampton University Museum is the nation’s oldest African American museum and one of the oldest museums in Virginia.

Founded in 1868, the Hampton University Museum is the nation’s oldest African American museum and one of the oldest museums in Virginia. With galleries dedicated to African American, African, Native American, Asian and Pacific art and artifacts.

The museum contains more than 9,000 objects representing cultures and people from around the world. Within its fine arts collection is the largest existing collection of works in any museum by the artists John Biggers, Elizabeth Catlett, Jacob Lawrence and Samella Lewis.

General Samuel Chapman Armstrong established the museum collection at Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute (now Hampton University) with objects donated by his missionary mother who was living in Hawaii. The first items were Polynesian.

During the 1870's the first African pieces were acquired at the museum.


1878
The establishment of the American Indian Education Program and the founding of the Museum’s Indian collection.

1880
Hampton alumnus, William H. Sheppard begins collecting traditional African art from the Kuba people of Zaire for Hampton. In 1911, he sold approximately 400 pieces of traditional Kuba art for $400 to Hampton.

1894
The Banjo Lesson and Lion’s Head were given as gifts by Hampton trustee Robert C. Ogden. Ogden Hall is also named for this trustee.

1900
Faculty member Alice C. Bacon returns from her second teaching appointment in Japan where she collected Japanese pieces. After her death in 1918, her Japanese Collection becomes a gift to the museum.

From its inception, Hampton University has had a strong tradition of promoting scholarship and developing research. In 1903, under University President Hollis Burke Frissell’s leadership, the Collis P. Huntington Memorial Library was built and dedicated to further nurture the academic excellence of students. Named in memory of the railroad magnate and Hampton Institute benefactor, the library was created to house the ever-expanding and enriching library collection, including the G. F. Peabody Collection and the University Archives. The building was constructed using various Neo-Classical, Jeffersonian elements and, in 1920 and 1968, went through expansions.

The renovations were necessary in order to fully support the growing collection, student body, and the transition from vocational school to the liberal arts college curriculum. In 1992, the University Library moved to the newly constructed William R. and Norma B. Harvey Library while the Huntington Memorial Building became the new home of the University Museum and Archives in 1997.

1980s
Major works of art from the Countee Cullen Collection and the John Biggers’ Art Collection are acquired by the museum.

1990s
The museum acquired major works of art from the Samella S. Lewis Art Collection, a collection of prints from Elizabeth Catlett, and the Pen of Liberty, one of three pens used by Abraham Lincoln to sign the Emancipation Proclamation.

1991
John Biggers fabricates and completed two murals, Tree House and House of the Turtle for the William H. and Norma B. Harvey Library, Hampton University.

1997
The museum moves to the Huntington Building, formerly the Huntington Library after a 5 million dollar renovation.
.

Source: Hampton University Museum: https://home.hamptonu.edu/msm/about-us/

bottom of page